- What are the major and/or most frequent complications of surgery?
- Is the skill and experience of the orthopaedic surgeon more important than the device or procedure?
- Can you give me any information on outcomes and complication rates?
- If I do not have surgery, what is the risk?
- Which device would you choose for yourself, if you needed a total joint replacement now, and why?
- How much pain can I expect, and how will it be managed in the hospital and after I go home?
- How long will the device last, and what can I do to make it last as long as possible?
- What are the pros and cons of minimally invasive (mini-incision) surgery? Does it really make a meaningful difference in the result, or does it pose unnecessary risks?
- Should I believe what I see on TV or read in the ads in magazines?
- What will I be able to do/not do after my total joint replacement?
- Is therapy necessary after surgery?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- How many total joint replacements do you and your hospital do each year?
- Will I be able to contact you after the surgery if I have a question or problem?
Last reviewed and updated: October 2007
American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
AAOS does not review or endorse accuracy or effectiveness of materials, treatments or physicians.
Copyright 2007 American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons